Participating in debate is easy! All you have to do is contact us to express your interest, and we'll connect you with our supportive network of educators. We encourage local circuits of schools to hold invitational contests throughout the fall semester, and will provide support staff to help launch debates in your part of the state! For more information on the accessible Public Forum Debate format, see our Learn to Debate page.
WHSFA plans to offer online debate contests occasionally throughout the 2020-21 year. We'll announce dates in early to mid-October.
State Debate Festival
- April 15-17, 2021 (online; alongside Speech; debaters can participate in different round time slots and still participate in Speech).
- Debate entries qualify by participating in at least one WHSFA invitational throughout the year and winning at least half of the rounds.
- Four rounds (entries may debate Thur. + Fri. evenings OR on Saturday).
- 4 wins=gold; 3 wins=silver; 2 wins=bronze; 1 win=small bronze
- Topics (April NSDA topics; LD announced Feb. 1; PF announced Mar. 1).