The WHSFA offers a number of awards to recognize excellence by its educators.
Ethel Heise New Speech Coach
Ethel Heise was a longtime Speech coach from Neenah who also taught at Oshkosh Lourdes Academy where she earned the esteemed Herb Kohl Teaching Fellowship in 1992. She was always supportive of new coaches, which is why WHSFA named this award in her honor.
Speech coaches within their first five years of coaching are eligible for the award when they are doing exceptional work as exemplified by:
- Number of students involved in forensic program as juxtaposed with the size of the school.
- Quality of student performances at the State Speech Festival as indicated by number of students receiving gold, silver and bronze.
Candidate must submit the following through the online form linked below, by March 15:
- Three Letters of Recommendation:
- Testimonial letter from a current student, alum, or a parent of a current/former student.
- Two letters from other coaches, administrators, supervisors, colleagues, and WHSFA District/Sectional Chair.
- Essay: "Why I Coach” in 12-point font, with 1” margins, double-spaced, and not exceeding two (2) pages.
Lyn Luce Leadership Award
Lynda Luce was a longtime Speech coach who taught at Waupaca High School, as well as at Fox Valley Technical College, UW-Stevens Point and UW-Oshkosh. She had been president of the Wisconsin Forensics Coaches Association and National Catholic Forensics League. She was honored as the Wisconsin Forensics Coach of the Year, Wisconsin Speech Teacher of the Year, the Hillshire Krahn Teacher of the Year, and received the Herb Kohl Teaching Fellowship. She was an active staffperson for both the WHSFA State Speech and Theatre festivals. The award is presented to an educator who:
- Is a successful coach in a variety of activities/performance areas.
- Shows leadership on multiple levels.
- Has strong community involvement.
- Is a willing mentor.
Nominators must submit a letter of recommendation through the online form linked below, by March 15:
Outstanding Speech/Debate/Theatre Educator
WHSFA is able to recognize an educator for significant and/or long-term contributions to interscholastic speech, theatre and/or debate activities; however, professional contributions within the past five years are of the utmost importance. Each nomination should be accompanied by a photo of the nominee. Please limit support material to the space provided in the nomination form. This nomination form is due by March 15.