Generate contestant schedules and print adjudicator master ballots. Enter scores as ballots are turned in, with tabulated results determining advancement to the next contest level.
This free course walks festival managers through planning and preparing festivals, as well as using SpeechWire.
WHSFA sends evaluation sheets to high school subdistricts and districts; middle level 1 and 2 festivals. See bottom-left of this page for color scheme reference.
Middle Level Festivals
Middle Level Speech Handbook
High School Festivals
High School Speech Handbook
Here are instructions for managers running digital Radio packet draw.
- Managers should check with school IT personnel on any special instructions for connecting and/or hardware requirements are needed, and communicate to coaches ahead of the festival, so coaches can ensure their students will be able to connect.
- Managers must ensure they have a prep room supervisor with access to a computer, and SpeechWire manager login information for the festival (username/password). Make sure to share the username with the word “manage” in it (example: uamanage).
- Managers should ensure the State Office has set protocols correctly, and loaded in Radio packets.
- Click Scheduling manager on the home page, then click “Manage live online draw/prep.” You will see a list of your groupings, and a column of dropdowns that will let you determine how to run draw for that event.
- Select Radio: One packet link for each round. One by one, the prep supervisor will open draw to each student. The student will at that time receive the link to the packet.
- Make your selections in the “Draw?” column, then click “Save draw settings.”
- You will see a column on the right side of the table on the “Manage draws” page that is labeled “Topics/materials”. Click “Manage topics/materials” for the grouping that you want to add the materials for. You should see a field for a link, for each round.
- If you are missing materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP!
- Running the draw/prep: Once draw is ready to begin, the prep room manager will run draw by clicking Scheduling manager, then ‘Run live online draw/prep’. They will select the category they want to administer, then the round they want to run right now. They will see a copy of the schematic. Once they are ready to launch the first set of draws, they should determine who in each section they want to have draw. Then, they should click “Open draw” for each of those students.
- When draw opens for a student, they gain the ability to draw within their live.speechwire.com student account. In order to access draw, they need to log in at live.speechwire.com and click on the name of the tournament that they are participating in. They will then see a link to enter draw, assuming that draw has begun for them.
- Once they click that link, they will see a summary of their day’s draws, along with links to draw now for any rounds that they have a draw open in.
- Once they click “Click here to draw now”, they will receive: link to the Radio packet, which will copy to Google Drive.
- The draw room manager will be able to see that they have drawn by reloading the page.
NOTE: Managers interested in offering this must first confirm their school has a public/guest WIFI network, or can make one available during the festival.
- Managers should check with school IT personnel on any special instructions for connecting and/or hardware requirements are needed, and communicate to coaches and their adjudicators ahead of the festival, so coaches can ensure their students will be able to connect.
- Please tell coaches that adjudicators who are interested should bring a laptop/tablet.
- Once you start your festival, adjudicators who want to will log into https://live.speechwire.com with the email listed on the Judge dashboard in your SpeechWire manager, access their rounds, type their evaluations and award points. You won’t even have to tabulate their results; they will come in automatically.
Other Resources: Middle + High School
|Group Interpretive Reading Readers Theatre (ML)||Pastel Salmon|
|Moments in History||Pulsar Pink|
|Oratory (Persuasive ML)||Terra Green|
|Play Acting||Pastel Canary|
|Poetry Reading||Pastel Orchid|
|Prose Reading||Pastel Blue|
|Public Address||Sunburst Yellow|
|Radio News Reporting||Pastel Green|
|Solo Acting||Pastel Ivory|
|Special Occasion||Cosmic Orange|
|Adjudicator Guidelines||Re-Entry Red|
|Ballot (SpeechWire generates)||White|
While WHSFA provides SpeechWire, free of charge, for subdistrict and district festivals, we allow subdistricts to schedule festivals manually, provided they report results at the end through SpeechWire. Here’s a downloadable/printable guide:
Speech - Manual Festival Scheduling