How to participate in contests (click for instructions)
- High schools (grades 9-12) may participate in our contests upon joining the WHSFA.
- By early January, schools should be notified by their district chair as to which subdistrict they have been assigned (dates and locations for subdistricts are available to the right).
NOTE: Invitational festivals or tournaments -- as well as regional athletic conference tournaments -- are run independently of the WHSFA, and are subject to registration and other protocols established by those respective host schools.
- In mid-January, all coaches must register online, with an accurate roster of adjudicators and student names, certifying interscholastic eligibility (usually handled by an athletic/activities director or an administrator), and assigning students to specific category entries. During that same window, coaches may log back in and make changes to registration, up until three weeks prior to the subdistrict festival. See
SpeechWire Registration Instructions
. As part of the online registration process, coaches book a State Festival time slot (Friday evening or Saturday morning); these are available on a first come, first served basis.
- The State Office will share registration information -- as well as a supply of evaluation sheets, radio scripts, and extemporaneous speaking questions -- with each subdistrict host, who will use that to schedule and prepare each festival.
- At the subdistrict festival, over the course of three rounds each entry must earn at least two scores of 16 or better to move on to the district level. Using the SpeechWire interface, subdistrict hosts will report advancing entries immediately following their contests, which district chairs will subsequently use to schedule the district festival.
- Coaches will have a brief window to drop students who have advanced, but will not continue to participate after subdistrict, as well as to confirm or modify the adjudicators they plan to bring to the district festival.
- At the district festival, over the course of three rounds each entry must earn at least two scores of 20 or better to move on to the State level. Using the SpeechWire interface, district hosts will report advancing entries immediately following their contests, which will be used to schedule the State Festival.
- Coaches will have a brief window to drop students who have advanced, but will not continue to participate at State, as well as to confirm or modify the adjudicators they plan to bring to State.
- Each entry presents for one round at the State festival. Entries earning 25 points earn a gold medal; entries earning 23-24 points earn a silver medal; entries earning 20-22 points earn a bronze medal; entries earning 5-19 points in a small bronze medal.
Remember, schools may register up to 4 entries in Group Interpretive Reading, up to 4 entries in Play Acting, and no more than 6 entries between both categories. If a school has 5 or 6 entries between both categories, that school must select a Saturday time slot for the State Festival.
List of 2017 Subdistricts/Districts
|WHSFA Subdist 01A (Siren)||Elizabeth Proctor||Siren||3/7/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 01B (Superior)||Rachael Holden-Kaufman, Andy Wolfe||Superior||2/28/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02A (Tomahawk)||Nancy Herbison||Tomahawk||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02B (Wausaukee)||Laura Struve||Wausaukee||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02C (Oconto Falls)||Gayle Gander||Oconto Falls||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02D (Northland Pines)||Amber Tilley||Northland Pines||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02E (Elcho)||Monica Glander||Elcho||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02F (Gresham)||Jenna Osborn, Natalie Onesti||Gresham||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 02G (Crititz)||Jill Brown||Crivitz||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 03A (Osceola)||Amanda Wicklund||Osceola||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 03B (Frederic)||Ethan Bergstrom||Frederic||3/6/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 03C (Plum City)||Angie Laehn||Plum City||3/7/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 03D (St. Croix Central)||Heather Jourdeans||Hammond||3/6/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 03E (Ellsworth)||Jennifer Kieren||Ellsworth||3/2/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 04A (Owen-Withee)||Barby Serocki||Owen||2/6/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 04B (Alma Ctr Lincoln)||Ted Imgrund||Alma Center||2/16/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 04C (Regis)||Judine Brey||Regis||2/14/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 04D (Rice Lake)||Don Pashby, Jen Helstad||Rice Lake||2/13/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05A (Athens)||Dee Brewster||Athens||2/13/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05B (Marathon)||Colleen Geurink||Marathon||2/23/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05C (D.C. Everest)||Dawn Whitsett||Weston||2/23/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05D (Wittenberg-Birmanwood)||Joanna Fradrich||Wittenberg||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05E (Weyauwega-Fremont)||Adrienne Rice||Weyauwega||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05F (Tri-County)||Tina Krummel||Plainfield||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 05G (Assumption)||Charles Renner||WI Rapids||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 06A (Southwest)||Heidi Baez, Mike Schuh||Green Bay||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 06B (West DePere)||Natalie Buhl||DePere||2/28/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 06C (Sevastopol)||Sarah Brandt||Sevastopol||2/28/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 06D (Freedom)||Terri Erickson||Freedom||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 06E (Denmark)||Juanita Ziolkowski||Denmark||2/23/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 06F (Kaukauna)||Keith Vanden Heuvel||Kaukauna||2/23/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 07A (Hillsboro)||Erin Hora||Hillsboro||2/6/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 07B (Holmen)||Kam-Lin Roswall||Holmen||2/9/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 07C (Whitehall)||Melanie Anderson; Meghan Oppelt||Whitehall||2/16/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 07D (Tomah)||Lizz Franklin||Tomah||2/7/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 08A (Berlin)||Nicole King||Berlin||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 08B (Horicon)||Sara Moldenhauer, Michael LeBouton||Horicon||2/13/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 08C (Pardeeville)||Anastasia Henaman, Kathryn David||Pardeeville||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 08D (Marshall)||Julie Laurent||Marshall||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 09A (Oshkosh Lourdes)||Linda Kaelin||Oshkosh||2/17/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 09B (New Holstein)||Donna Nett-Heus||New Holstein||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 09C (Howards Grove)||Jane Cole||Howards Grove||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 09D (Grafton)||Rebecca Ringhand||Grafton||2/18/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 10A (Seneca)||Sandy Connors||Prairie du Chien||2/20/16|
|WHSFA Subdist 10B (Potosi)||Laura Hartline||Potosi||2/20/16|
|WHSFA Subdist 10C (River Valley)||Dede Holverson||Spring Green||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 10D (Argyle)||Sharon Buss||Argyle||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 10E (Darlington)||Carmen Rielly||Darlington||2/20/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 11A (Stoughton)||Ruth Phillips||Stoughton||3/2/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 11B (Milton)||Shauna Wessely||Milton||2/27/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 11C (Monticello)||Anna Schwerke||Monticello||3/9/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 12A (Burlington)||Robbie Twohig/Matt Nie||Burlington||3/1/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 12B (Waukesha West)||Lindsey Walcott||Waukesha||3/7/17|
|WHSFA Subdist 12C (Pius XI)||Kelty Chelius||Milwaukee||2/22/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D01 (Hayward)||Ellyn Conhartoski||Hayward||3/28/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D02-E (Tomahawk)||Nancy Herbison||Tomahawk||2/18/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D02-W (Marinette)||Nancy Herbison||Marinette||2/25/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D03 (Menomonie)||Tina Fern-Denzer||Menomonie||4/1/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D04 (Regis)||Judine Brey||Regis||3/14/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D05 (East Jr.)||Toni Schumacher||WI Rapids||3/11/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D06 (Bay Port)||Pam Belden||Green Bay||3/16/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D07 (UW-La Crosse)||Kam-Lin Roswall||La Crosse||3/11/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D08-N (Beaver Dam)||Mary Kahler||Beaver Dam||3/6/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D08-S (DeForest)||Janis Williams||DeForest||3/13/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D09 (Manitowoc Lincoln)||Margarette Allen||Manitowoc||3/13/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D10 (UW-Platteville)||Sam Jonas||UW-Platteville||3/25/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D11 (Belleville)||Ruth Phillips||Belleville||3/16/17|
|WHSFA Subdist D12 (Waukesha West)||Amy Koszarek||Waukesha||4/1/17|
|WHSFA State Festival||Adam Jacobi||Madison||4/21/17|
UW-Madison - April 21-22, 2017
2017 State Festival information will be posted in March.