Showcase Criteria & Nomination
Selection Process & Criteria
- Schools are required to have current WHSFA school membership and are further encouraged to actively participate in educational activities provided by WHSFA.
- Schools performing will receive a stipend of up to $500 to defray licensing costs. All other expenses are the responsibility of the performing school, including registering and paying Festival fees for all members of the company.
- Schools may submit a show for consideration that will be revived from the previous year and by necessity might involve just-graduated students OR a show to be produced this fall, sometime before the festival.
The selection committee takes the following general factors into account:
- Schools from all areas of the state and schools of various sizes should be represented.
- Shows should represent a variety of styles and genre:
NOMINATING YOUR SHOW
- Committee members will make every attempt to see the show submitted for selection, attend another production during the year, or find other ways to become familiar with the work of the applicant school as well as its directing and technical staff.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit some or all of the following as applicable*:
- Online application, including any supporting materials.
- Director’s concept statement (pasted/typed in online application)
- Reference to past participation in the Wisconsin High School Theatre Festival (pasted/typed in online application)
- Photographs and/or conceptual artwork; videos cannot be accepted for copyrighted scripts.
- Supporting documentation, e.g., programs, make-up, costume sketches, set, lighting designs (uploaded in application or emailed afterward); and/or review(s) or letters of recommendation (uploaded in application or emailed afterward), which speak to director's experience with depth of performance, substance and rigor of material performed, and artistic vision, creativity, and/or innovation for staging.
- Committee members will review all submitted materials. Selections will be announced in early November.
*If submitting a show not yet in production, provide documentation for shows previously produced that demonstrate the type of work created by students and staff of the applicant school.