Showcase Criteria & Nomination
Selection Process & Criteria
- Schools are required to have current WHSFA school membership and are further encouraged to actively participate in educational activities provided by WHSFA.
- Usually, a non-musical opens the Festival and is performed Thursday at 8pm, and a musical is performed twice on Friday: 4 pm and 8 pm.
- Schools performing the non-musical receive $750 while those performing the musical receive $1000 to help defray costs. All other expenses are the responsibility of the performing school, including registering and paying Festival fees for all members of the company.
- Schools may submit a show for consideration that will be revived from the current year and by necessity might involve just-graduated students OR a show to be produced the following fall just before the Festival.
- Directors and technical staff of selected schools must travel to the host site to meet with WHSFA and host institution officials no later than the first full week of September.
- Once selected, schools are required to complete a questionnaire regarding technical needs and production information and submit it to the WHSFA office by September 1.
The selection committee takes the following general factors into account:
- Schools from all areas of the state and schools of various sizes should be represented.
- Shows should represent a variety of styles and genre:
NOMINATING YOUR SHOW
- Committee members will make every attempt to see the show submitted for selection, attend another production during the year, or find other ways to become familiar with the work of the applicant school as well as its directing and technical staff.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit some or all of the following as applicable*:
- Online application completed by June 22, including any supporting materials.
- Director’s concept statement (pasted/typed in online application)
- Reference to past participation in the Wisconsin High School Theatre Festival (pasted/typed in online application)
- Sketches or photographs of the set (may be uploaded in application or emailed afterward)
- Supporting documentation, e.g., programs, make-up, costume sketches, set, lighting designs (uploaded in application or emailed afterward).
- Videotapes cannot be accepted for copyrighted scripts.
- Peer review or letters of recommendation (uploaded in application or emailed afterward), which speak to director’s experience with depth of performance, substance and rigor of material performed, and artistic vision, creativity, and/or innovation for staging.
- Committee members will review all submitted materials. Selections are announced in mid- to late-July.
*If submitting a show not yet in production, provide documentation for shows previously produced that demonstrate the type of work created by students and staff of the applicant school.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.